Client: Darlington Borough Council
Contact: Emma Roberts
In 2019 Fore was commissioned to support the development of the Outline Business Case for the Darlington Station scheme and ensure its entry into the Rail Network Enhancements Pipeline.
Image: Darlington Borough Council
In 2019 Fore was commissioned to support the development of the Outline Business Case for the Darlington Station scheme and ensure its entry into the Rail Network Enhancements Pipeline. The scheme comprises of:
- A new station building, with multi-modal connections, to the east of the existing station building;
- A new transport interchange and MSCP adjacent
- Improved transport interchange facilities on the western side of the station.
- Two new bay platforms on the east side to accommodate existing and future Tees Valley local services;
- The track between these platforms and Darlington South Junction designed to ensure the local services can operate independently from the ECML
- Another new platform adjacent to the Up Goods Line, to be used by southbound long distance high speed services calling at Darlington;
- A new accessible footbridge linking the new platforms and station building with the remainder of the existing station;
- Enhancement to the existing station portico
Our advice and input persuaded DfT to allow the development of the OBC for one transformational project with two distinct phases, rather than splitting it into two separate projects . Our initial work focused on requesting formal entry into RNEP ‘Develop’ stage for Phase 1 and developing a supplementary statement of the ‘Decision to Develop’ containing the six elements set out in the guidance. Fore then led on the production of the Outline Business Case and ‘Decision to Design’ statement.
The Outline Business Case was produced in line with DfT’s Transport Business Cases guidance, DfT’s Transport Appraisal Process and DfT’s WebTAG guidance. The OBC was presented using the five case model and required the assembly of the relevant inputs from other areas of work. This necessitated close collaboration with TVCA, its partners including Network Rail and other appointed consultants. It was also key that the OBC addressed any outstanding concerns raised by DfT in the SOBC.
On completion of the OBC it was successfully agreed by the Darlington Station Programme Board, chaired by the Tees Valley Mayor and including the Leader and Chief Executive of Darlington Borough Council (DBC) and it has been used to secure the committed funding for the scheme.
Fore has subsequently supported the planning application and compulsory purchase order progressed by Darlington Borough Council for parcels of land to the east and west of the station, with a public inquiry held virtually in January 2022. During 2022 Fore also supported the updating of the information to meet the requirements of a Full Business Case so that the project can now move into the delivery phase. The FBC was submitted in August 2022.