VITA Student, York
Client: Vita York 1 Limited
660 bed car-free student development close to York University
- Preparation of a Transport Statement and Travel Plan for 14 three and four storey buildings on the site of St Joseph’s Convent of Poor Clare Collentines. Proposals included new-build high-quality accommodation for 660 students as well as communal leisure facilities within the listed convent buildings.
- Key issues included consideration of servicing and pick-up/drop-off/loading areas particularly at the start and end of term, as well as providing adequate cycling facilities.
- Fore designed a new junction on Lawrence Street to accommodate service and emergency vehicles, as well as providing occasional access for private cars.
- Although the development is “car-free,” it includes 5 disabled spaces as well as 2 spaces with charging points for electric vehicles.
- Situated between the University and the City Centre, the development is well placed to take advantage of York being one of the UK’s premier cycling cities. Proposals include 330 secure and covered cycle parking spaces and potential to create an on-site cycle hire scheme.
- Fore demonstrated that loading and servicing could operate safely with no adverse impact on local roads.
- Planning consent was granted in March 2015.
This case study is also featured on the Fuse website, who acted as masterplanner and architect on the scheme.
Find out more about our Travel Planning services here.